Thank you for your interest in Habitat for Humanity and our housing program. We review all applications to verify the following Family Selection criteria.
1. Family is currently living in substandard housing, defined as one or more of:
- Poor structural conditions such as wiring, ventilation, heating or bathroom facilities.
- Medical disabilities and general health conditions are made worse by current housing.
- Location is not accessible to schools, shopping and transportation in a safe community.
- Overcrowding for the number of people living in the home.
- Percentage of income currently spent on housing is too high, over 35% of gross income.
- Currently living in subsidized housing.
2. You must have the ability to pay a mortgage.
Families must have a reliable source of income and demonstrate their ability to pay a fair market value mortgage. Sources of income considered in the review include employment income, spousal and child support, child care supplements, and pensions. We will ask for income verification of all working adults intending to live in the home. Each family member must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
Gross family income between $20,000 – $50,000 annually will be considered (based on family size).
Your long-term debt ratio is also considered to confirm that you can pay Habitat’s no-interest mortgage:
- Families must not be eligible for a conventional mortgage (from a banking institution).
- Families must be able to pay for expenses associated with closing and moving.
- Monthly housing costs (mortgage + property taxes) are based on 25% of gross household income.
- The mortgage amortization period should be ideally within 15-25 years.
- Families are responsible for home insurance, which is not included in the 25% calculation.
- A satisfactory credit report is required with no bankruptcy within the last two years.
3. You must be willing to partner with us to advance the mission of Habitat.
- You will be asked to provide references and supporting statements for most of the criteria.
- We will look at your employment history and credit history.
- We will look at how you show determination to improve your family’s current situation.
- The Family Partnering Committee may visit your current home to evaluate your needs.
- We will look at how you show willingness to participate in Habitat for Humanity activities.
The application process can take several months to complete. Thank you for your interest. We look forward to working with you.
You can download an application here or call us at 506-474-1520 to request that one be mailed to you.