Habitat for Humanity Fredericton Area Inc is a non-profit charitable organization working towards a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Habitat is making a difference – one house, one family and one volunteer at a time.
Our territory covers the Fredericton area, western and northern New Brunswick. This allows us to proudly serve many families throughout our province.
HOW HABITAT WORKS
- gives low-income families “a hand-up, not a hand-out”;
- builds houses using donations in the form of monetary donations, new materials, labor, gifts-in-kind, and profits from the Habitat ReStore;
- building is completed through the efforts of volunteers, professional trades people, and the partner family;
- homes are above energy efficient standards and conform with building codes;
- sells the houses to selected family at appraised value and holds their no-interest mortgage, thus giving those unable to obtain a conventional mortgage the opportunity of owning their own home;
- expects families to accept all responsibilities of home ownership;
- in lieu of a down payment, and to develop pride of ownership, Habitat families are required to contribute 500 hours of “sweat equity” (unpaid labor). They work alongside other volunteers to build “their” house, help with other Habitat projects,
- the partnership works both ways. Habitat works closely with each family through the selection process and construction. We will be there for you until you are a secure homeowner!
HOW PARTNER FAMILIES ARE CHOSEN
- Present living conditions are crowded, not healthy, not affordable or not safe.
2. Ability to Pay
- A home should be a blessing, not a burden. Therefore, according to family size and circumstance, incomes will be considered with a typical range between $28,000 – $51,000.
- Family income may include employment income, spousal and child support, child tax benefits, pensions and disability pensions.
- A satisfactory credit report is required with no bankruptcy within the last three years.
- Landlord, personal, and possibly bank references are required.
- Total debt will be taken into consideration.
- No down payment is required.
- Mortgage payments will include principal, taxes and insurance, and will be based on 25-30% of gross income.